Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Friday, March 02, 2007

return to ancestral roots

Pin It Now!

I apologize for the dearth in posting lately - I was far away in the wilds of Algonquin Park celebrating my first wedding anniversary with hubs. In a return to ancestral roots, we celebrated the anniversary of our wintry wedding in classic Canadian style.....camping!

It's been a great year and we COMPLETELY and totally lucked out with our weather - at a balmy -3C during the day, we were practically sunbathing.

Granted, the fact that it went down to -20C at night was a little less exciting, and I was even less stoked to find out they decided to perform "maintenance" on the only running water in the place, and hence took away my nice warm, flushy toilets and left me to deal with a cold yucky (and oh so ickily-named) 'vault' toilet. A vault, eh?

Technically, I should be at work today and not writing this (especially as I only worked one day this week....), but I awoke to the sound of ice pellets grinding down my windows in gale-force winds and decided that I just really really REALLY could not stomach making the the 10-minute trek to the bus stop, only to wait fruitlessly in the blizzard and never have the blasted bus show (rule of thumb - if it's nice out, the bus will show, if it sucks, well, it sucks to be you because you are OUT in the cold).

SO I'm at home, still in my jammies. I did do some work, but as I'm not really going to call this 'working from home' I thought I would blog about my nice wintry trip. Of course, I'm a bit of a knob when it comes to packing, so I forgot the camera battery charger at home....pics are limited and of extremely mediocre quality.....one flourescent tube really does NOT make for ideal photography.......

Anyway.....we arrived on Sunday the 25th (our anniversary!) and celebrated in style with filet mignon, peppercorn sauce, potatoes over the fire and a robust yummy bordeaux.

For the steak, it was simply seasoned with montreal steak spice and cooked to perfection over the fire by hubs. I will confess that the peppercorn sauce came from a packaged mix......it was easy and somewhat tasty, though once you've had the yummy homemade stuff, it really doesn't compare.

But the potatoes are amazing, and make for fabulous hash browns when they are leftover. :)

Potatoes over the fire
Serves 2, plus hashbrown leftovers!

2 very large potatoes
1 small onion
2 T butter
1 t fleur de sel (yes, I brought fleur de sel camping)
1 clove garlic, minced
pepper
heavy-duty foil

1. Take one large piece of foil, and spray with non-stick cooking spray (or just oil it). Cut the potatoes into 1/2 inch pieces and place in the centre of the foil.
2. Chop the onion relatively finely (it seems like a lot, but always cooks down!) and sprinkle over top of the potatoes.
3. Add the minced garlic, and cut the butter in small pieces, spreading them somewhat evenly on top of the potato/onion mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
4. Seal completely in the foil. Wrap with two more layers of foil (in my experience, this keeps the potatoes from searing themselves to the foil). Cook over the fire for about 30 minutes, flipping every 5-7 minutes. Enjoy with sour cream.

Please excuse the inferior pictures.....
dinner!

Doesn't make it less yummy!

So I'll leave you with a good picture, but it isn't one I took....this one is from our wedding last year, taken by Frank Fenn, after the snow finally stopped coming down!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails